Saturday, May 21, 2016

Once Upon A Time (Season 4)

Note: The three posts (on OUAT Season 3, 4 and 5) were written on different days but posted on the same day.

Elloh again.

So I’ve watched both season 4 and 5 which means I caught all the available episodes on Netflix. I decided to write separate reviews for the two seasons because this post is kind of special–I found a favourite season of the series: season 4. It’s just adorable and fluffy (I don't know how this makes sense I guess the series knocked senses out of me), in a way, despite some unavoidable cheesy clichés. I have a feeling that I'll rewatch it one day.

If you haven't watched OUAT but you're wondering when Frozen came in, it's this season.

Let me be honest, at first I was annoyed and I thought the casting team lost their magic and I seriously thought Elsa (Georgina Haig)  and Anna (Elizabeth Lail) were super awkward, with what Anna’s seemingly forced chatty habit and stiff expressions. But I think it was the third episode that I got used to it and somehow the annoyance turned into endearment. It became clear then the resemblance, Anna from Frozen and Anna from OUAT, and the Elsas too.



(Look how pretty and similar! And may I add how on point their costumes are? Round of applause for the designers and make-up artists and hairstylists and whatever talented people who made this possible)

That's exactly it; I like the fact, in fact I love it, that for once, OUAT made the characters as how they are. Anna was awkwardly bubbly, chatty, adorable and hopeful, while Elsa was unsure, dependent, loyal and elegant in her own cowardice way. Both Haig and Lail portrayed the characters so well.  I guess that adds to the reasons I’m so attached to this season–the characters are not out of characters. I hope in the future, they'll keep this up.



The plot is also, as always, interesting. Sometimes I feel the writers get ideas that could affect what had happened in the past, and try too hard to connect them so they still make sense but guess what? They do. Let me walk you through the Frozen plot twist:

Basically it's a continuation of Frozen. Elsa overcame her fear and Anna was always by her side to support her. Anna and Kristoff were getting married. When the wedding was getting close, Elsa found their mother’s journal that hinted their parents’ trip before their death was to find out a way to get rid of her ice powers. Anna was determined to prove otherwise, so the wedding was delayed. From Arendelle, she journeyed to the Enchanted Forest to find Rumple.

Meanwhile, Elsa and Kristoff had to face Hans and his brothers who were causing trouble and yada yada yada they found an urn that contained Elsa and Anna’s mother’s sister. Yes apparently the mother has two sisters whose existences were wiped out from the kingdom’s memories. The one trapped in the urn accidentally killed the other sister and the mother witnessed this so she was like ‘what did you do’ and boom! She was urn-trapped.

So the sister who was trapped wanted revenge. Not really revenge as it involved obsessive plan to find new sisters who understood being born with power i.e. Elsa and Emma. Nope I'm not even going to waste my time explaining how Emma came into the picture, watch it yourself. Enjoy it. Yada yada yada it ended as cheesily as it could, but the Evil Ice Queen got redemption at the last moment of her life.

Anyway, however cheesy it was, I loved it. I'll definitely watch it again.

You know why I love it so much? The sisterly love between Elsa and Anna was so precious. I especially love the moment when the Evil Ice Queen tried to manipulate Elsa that Anna couldn't accept her for who she was and wanted to erase her power, but Elsa didn't even doubt her sister for a second, behind her smart act to make sure the Evil Ice Queen didn't know that. It's low key my top favourite moment throughout the whole five seasons because it's just. so. touching. It's not supposed to be but I find it really admirable, to have that much trust on someone.



Sorry I can't find that scene but this works too (and also one of my favourite Anna & Elsa moment):



I love Elsa, she's my second favourite Disney princess (who turned queen) and I again thank you OUAT for not making her a victim of OOC-ness.

I also love how sweet a couple Anna and Kristoff are in the series, along with the cute, funny moments. Although Kristoff in the series is a bit less wise-looking and more a pushover (because yes original Anna and Kristoff have equal power in their relationship), I love how they clearly support and care for each other. I actually preferred the fairytale-like love at first sight Hans and Anna could have, so I wasn't that crazy about Kristoff and Anna pairing but the series made me see it's not that bad.

This is one scene I have to share with you to support that last paragraph:



Another thing, I absolutely adore Kristoff and Elsa’s relationship as in-laws. Kristoff cared for Elsa and was protective of her like Anna did. You have to watch it to see what I mean.



AND lastly. Again, of all the series, my favourite episode has to be S04E10 when all the characters were affected by the mirror which made them see the worst traits in everyone else. It was so funny although I know it's not supposed to be. Snow and Charming were mean to each other yet they're still so cute. And during this, Kristoff was throwing insults (which was mostly about her delaying the wedding which should tell you something)  at Anna who wasn't affected by the curse, and how she reacted to it was again –I don't have any other word to describe it –cute.

Here again are a few of my favourite scenes from the episode llol I'm enjoying this (I told you I love this season):

(This is also one of my fav Anna & Kristoff scenes)

Snow & Charming are still a cute couple though with the insults

Edit: oh I forgot to mention another important bit that made the season more effective: the visual effects. They're amazing. Just watch this it's great:



The rest of the season was another plot on finding the author of the OUAT book that Henry had, and it wasn't as worthy for a review as was the Frozen part but it was also not far from the joy of watching the first half. Which is again why I really like this season. I do have one update though: Rumple is starting to annoy me meaning he's not even my favourite character anymore and I'm embarrassed to have admitted that he was. I guess now Regina or you better believe it, Anna, may take his place. I still love Peter Pan though. The plot progressed into Emma being the dark one, thanks to Rumple. Oh, Rumple Rumple.

I only have one word for the season (the first half which was about Frozen at least) and it is as I said so many times before: adorable. I'm not even being sarcastic here. For that, I'm giving this season 7.2/10. I do hope the characters will return in the future (and I hope Jack Frost will be there to uhum).

See you in part II of this review. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment